Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Thankful

Given it is ICLW week, and American Thanksgiving - I figured I would write about something that isn't totally a play-by-play of how I am feeling.   Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago.  Hubby and I just found out we were pregnant and I was totally consumed by the pregnancy to truly reflect on what I had to be thankful for.  Since our 'neighbours to the south' are geering up to celebrate the reasons why they are thankful, I figure I could reflect too. 

As one of my favourite bloggers wrote in her last entry, it isn't getting SPAM that is important, it's what you do with it.  Kelle Hampton is an amazing woman who is truly inspirational. You can read her blog here.  After reading her blog, I realize that I too need to make something from the SPAM I've been served. 

So here is a list of things I'm truly grateful for:
  • My Hubby - although some days it seems as though we waltz around each other, he is truly my best friend.  We aren't the most romantic couple around, but given we have been together since we were 16 - we know each other so well.  We've grown up together and he has been so good (mostly) in these last few months of hell.  I am really grateful he's in my life.  
  • My friends- I am blessed with a great support group of friends.  I know I have pushed many away in these last few weeks, however, with one small gesture on my end, I know they will be back in my life.  It is hard to support someone in my situation - especially since many of them are currently pregnant or have young children themselves, however I am blessed with some really wonderful people in my life.
  • My job - I teach students with Special Needs and I am so amazed at my students and the work I do.  With my job, I  have to opportunity to meet some incredibly inspirational people.  Although everyday isn't easy - overall it is such an amazing job.  My students give me so much joy.
  • My co-workers - I am so lucky to work with some amazing people.  Although one is pregnant causing me personal upheaval, she is one of the most remarkable people to work with.  I am very lucky to have such a great team around me. 
  • My dogs - they drive me crazy, but I love them!
  • My house - we bough our house from my father who inherited/purchased it from my grandparents when they moved to a retirement home.  I love our house so much. We've done a lot of work updating it, but it is ours. 
There are more things - I'm sure of it. But writing these few things down has really made me happy about my situation.  Funny how easy it is to be negative and focus on all the bad things in life. Negativity breeds negativity. As soon as I let myself go down that path, it is all over and very difficult to steer myself on the right direction.   I want to be the person that is thankful and realizes the blessing I do have in life - and not just focus on the bad; however, that person is hard to find most days.  I have always been negative.  I think it has been a defense mechanism from childhood.  Life growing up wasn't great and I think being negative and expecting the worse helped me survive.  Now I need to start focusing more on the positive.  It will help me be a happier person, as well as I'm sure it will make me a more pleasant person to be around!

What are you thankful for?  What tricks do you use to focus on the 'good' things in life and not dwell on the bad?

5 comments:

  1. That is so true how easy it is to focus on the negative and then struggle to get back on the right track. I totally identify with you on the wanting be the thankful person who recognizes their blessings. A friend of mine is actually like that, and while she gets a surprising amount of flack for it, I take every opportunity I can to let her know how much I appreciate it and what an inspiration she is. Her name is Amanda, coincidentally enough!

    I'm thankful that I have been able to make it this far with enough sanity intact. It encourages me that I can keep going. And I'm a huge fan of redirecting my thoughts when they try to lead me somewhere I'm not willing to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted you to know that you inspired me to write a post about Gratitude. :) Happy Thanksgiving from down south :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is wonderful to focus on the positives this time of year. Makes you consider how much good you have in your life. Glad to see you have so much to be grateful for.

    ICLW #12

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's so easy to focus on the negative! I try to really stay in the moment when I find myself thinking negatively. Sometimes I'll take a quick walk or eat a piece of chocolate or just something else where I can concentrate on something sensory. Happy very late Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Amanda! Sometimes we're so consumed with what we're waiting on that we don't take the time to realize everything we do have. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate it but it does help to stop and take notice of it.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog too! I'm now "following" you and looking forward to keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete